Sunday, February 8, 2009

Great Reads for Little Ones

I checked out We're Going on a Bear Hunt, written by Michael Rosen and illustrated by Helen Oxenbury because I had fond memories of seeing my father read it to some of my younger siblings (my youngest sibling is 15 years younger than I am, and there are five others between us). I love the illustrations in this classic story of kids off on an adventure with Dad.

Storm is Coming!, written by Heather Tekavec and illustrated by Margaret Spengler tells of how a farmload of animals take shelter in the barn because there is a storm coming. The animals are relieved when it gets dark, because Storm won’t find them. The animals tell one another that the rain will wash away their tracks, and lightning will blind Storm. Sure enough, it is the farmer and not Storm who appears when the sun comes out. Cat’s reaction to the entire situation lends additional humor.

I was already planning to review Click, clack, moo: Cows that type, written by Doreen Cronin and illustrated by Betsy Lewin, when my 19-year-old sister brought it up during a phone conversation as a great book. So this is a story that charmed me as a mom, my two toddlers (Johnny moos along with the cows), and my single, college student sister. After all, what is not entertaining about cows that type?

I’ve mentioned before that Emma loves the alphabet. Z Goes Home by Jon Agee is an alphabet book that she and I both enjoy. I like the idea of the letter Z from a Zoo sign going home at the end of the day. The letters of the alphabet are cleverly built into the landscape as Z journeys home, and I like the homely atmosphere when Z arrives home to his alphabet family.

Newest posts from my new blog