Thursday, May 14, 2009

Favorite Childhood Reads

In honor of Children’s Book Week, I thought I’d list a few of my favorite childhood books:

pokeylittlepuppy

Written by Janette Sebring Lowrey and illustrated by Gustaf Tenggren, The Poky Little Puppy was probably my all-time childhood favorite. I don’t know that I cared about the story much, but I loved the illustrations.

gusfriendlyghost

I don’t have a copy of Gus Was a Friendly Ghost (written by Jane Thayer and illustrated by Seymour Fleishman, but I remember liking it enough that I wrote my name in it (probably without permission; I considered all pink and purple books my property because those were my favorite colors, so logical…) I also remember the rat having a lot of personality, maybe being a bit rude at times?gusbabyghostGus & the Baby Ghost, also written by Jane Thayer and illustrated by Seymour Fleishman, is another book that I’m pretty sure I wrote my name in. This is another book that I haven’t seen since I was six years old (we moved and I think the book got left behind). I loved the idea of there being baby ghosts, and I was fascinated by the idea of learning how to take care of babies from a book. I think this book inspired my later obsession at age 6 or 7 with a vintage copy of Dr. Spock’s baby book that I found on our home bookshelf.  

I also remember loving a book about a kitten chasing its tail and sleeping in the sun, but I have no idea what the book was called.

Favorite stories from collections of stories whose titles are also forgotten include a story about the buds a Pussy willow branch coming to life as a bunch of tiny gray kittens and another story about dolls coming to life once their owners fell asleep. Anyone know the title of either story?

And yes, I was a girly girl (really the only one from six girls in my family) if this post hasn’t already told you that…

What favorite books do you remember from your childhood?

Newest posts from my new blog