Saturday, November 29, 2008

Christmas Tree Ornaments

We have very few Christmas tree ornaments, and those we have are easily broken. I wanted to have a few ornaments that the kids could play with at the bottom of the tree, so Emma and I made some salt dough, got out the cookie cutters, and made these:


We used cookie cutters to make all of the shapes except the wreaths, and then I used a skewer to make holes for hanging. It's important to do this before baking the clay.

We made the salt dough by mixing 1/2 cup of salt, 1 cup of flour, 1/2 cup of water, and 1 tablespoon of olive oil together and then kneading in food coloring to make the different colors. Emma really enjoyed kneading in the different colors. Bake the clay on parchment paper at 300 degrees Fahrenheit for one hour.

I used gold embroidery floss (all six strands) to hang the ornaments on the tree.

Newest posts from my new blog