Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Felt Food

I'm very fond of felt and fleece as fabrics, because they are easy to work with and fairly forgiving. I designed this felt bread to fit into the children's bread pan sold at Ikea when the pattern is printed full scale to fill up an 8.5x11" sheet of regular paper. I'm not sure how scaling
blogger images works. If anyone knows a better way to include a pattern like this, please let me know.


The loaf of bread can be made using a single square of felt, sold for 20-30 cents in most craft stores. I bought a bag of stuffing for $3, and I barely used any.


You can use the pattern piece for the end of the loaf to make slices of bread (just cut out a 1/2" strip of felt to sew around the edge) and to make "jam" and "peanut butter" fillings. Yellow rectangles make pretend cheese, and a brown circle works as a hamburger (sew two together and stuff them if you want it to be more realistic).


Peanut butter and jelly sandwich:

I sewed everything together using a blanket stitch. Both of my kids love their play food, and I don't have to worry about lead paint!

Newest posts from my new blog