September is National Sewing Month, so I thought I’d showcase a few of my favorite sewing tutorials - some simple, some challenging, some for hand sewing and others for machine sewing. I’ve linked to shops run by these wonderful bloggers in the cases where I am aware of their existence (if I missed your shop, let me know and I’ll edit this post to include it). When using these tutorials, please follow requests made by bloggers with regards to fair use. Most bloggers restrict their tutorials to personal, non-commercial use. Now, on to the blogs:
- LiEr at ikat bag has a fantastic collection of sewing tutorials for toys, clothing, and hair accessories. You can find the full list in the sidebar on her blog. She also recently opened an etsy shop.
- Get instructions for a sandwich wrap that doubles as a placemat from the Frugal Family Fun Blog. Valerie has a few sewing tutorials, including this apple printed lunch sack and instructions for making a bib from a pair of old jeans.
- Deb from Works in Progress shows how to make a bag from a vintage sheet. I also like the pram bag she made using two pillowcases. She also recently opened a shop – based in New Zealand, but ships worldwide.
- I love this repurposed girls’ ruffle front shirt from Make It and Love It. Ashley has a TON of tutorials for sewing projects – just check her left sidebar. She also has an etsy shop.
- Beth from be the thread has a great two-part tutorial for making adorable onesie dresses here and here. She has a few other sewing tutorials here, and an Art Fire shop.
- Katherine at One Inch World has wonderful sewing tutorials, including several for felt food. Just check her sidebar. I think her ravioli tutorial is especially clever as it is the most efficient way of making felt ravioli that I’ve seen. Many of Katherine’s tutorials can easily be sewn by hand, so you don’t even need a sewing machine.
- Favorite tutorials from homemade by jill include her ruffle shirt, taggie animals, and very adorable quiet book. See her sidebar for more templates and tutorials.
This blog has sewing tutorials for baby wipes, crayon rolls (the giveaway for a crayon roll is open until Friday morning), instructions for repurposing jeans and t-shirts into toddler shorts, a doll bed mattress, a pattern for Christmas stockings, a winter toddler dress, and a princess gown, Also hand-sewing tutorials for princess shoes and patterns for felt food here and here.
Do you have a favorite sewing resource that I’ve missed? Please link up in the comments, I’d love to check it out!